Sunday, December 12, 2010

Knitting my Brains Out

This fall, my daughter decided she wanted a "Gir" hat.  Gir is a character from a cartoon on Nickelodeon called "Invader Zim".  He's darn cute, so I found a pattern and decided to start knitting.  Thank God for my friends who knit because I was pretty clueless.  That hat turned out horrible, and in fact, it was given to Matthew because he appreciated its "hand-made" quality, but what happened was I am in a knitting frenzy now.  I have made another hat, which took me all of two days, and I'm off to make more.

I made my Pom-Pom hat out of Loops & Threads (by Michaels) Charisma. It's a #5 bulky yarn.  This yarn is so soft and cozy!!  And it keeps my little head so warm.  Here's what I did:

On 16-inch size 13 circular needles, cast on 72. 

k2, p2 all the way 'round for about 2 inches;
Knit stockinette stitch for about 4 1/2 inches;
k8, DD, *k16 DD* three times, k8;
knit one round even.
k7, DD, *k14, DD* three times, k7;
knit one round even;
k6, DD, *k12, DD* three times, k6;
knit one round even;
k2tog all the way around every row until you have 10 left on the needles;
Bind off by threading the end of the yard that you just stopped knitting with onto a yard needle and putting it through all the loops on the needles. Pull tightly and weave in all ends.

Pom-pom is Optional. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment