Sunday, January 2, 2011

I Have Been Busy Knitting

If you follow me on Facebook, then you know that I've suddenly become a knitting fool.  Well, the fool part comes easy. The knitting, not so much, but I'm learning.  Thank God, I have a nice group of knitting friends to help! 

This sudden obsession for knitting has been fueled by our church group called Threads and Yarn.  We get together on Monday's to knit, talk, crochet, sew, and so whatever needle art projects we have.  We make afghans, hats, scarves, mittens and quilts for our Clothes Closet and Food Pantry ministries and to have them on-hand when someone needs it.  It's so much fun to get together with these ladies!!

Christmas was busy this year.  I was commissioned to make a hat and scarf for my friend's son.  I used Hometown USA (Lion Brand) in Ocean.  You can get the pattern at www.lionbrand.com.  It's the Brisbane Scarf  (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90619C.html?noImages=) and, honestly, I can't remember how I made the hat.  I think it was just a simple k2, p2 rib on size 13 bamboo needles.  Sabrina loved it!  Here's how it turned out...


Then, my Aunt Sharon asked me to knit a pair of mittens.  I used this pattern (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kjtq-mittens.html?noImages=) and some yarn I had on hand.  I think there was some scrap Homespun yarn involved and a couple of skeins of some stuff I had on hand from Joann's.  I was very surprised and pleased at how easy and fast they are.  Took about 4 hours to make the pair!  


Next, I decided to take a trip to Ravelry.com.  This was a big mistake.  Big.  Huge.  I discovered a brand of yarn called Noro.  When I saw the gorgeous hats that knitters has made I HAD to have a skein.  Period.  I ended up finding it at The Old Village Yarn Shoppe in Plymouth (Lilley Rd and Ann Arbor Rd.).  I found the pattern on Ravelry and this is how turned out.  It's a little shorter than I planned, but its so pretty!


Finally, my husband, Gregg, noticed I'd been making something for everyone but him, so he asked me to make him a hat.  I used size 8 needles and Patons Black and Purple yarn.  Got the pattern somewhere on Ravelry.com and here's how it turned out...

I'm currently working on an earflap hat made of Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande.  This stuff is the softest yarn I have ever worked with.  I love it!  Gregg actually found it at the yarn shop we went to over Christmas in Rochester, NY.  Knit A Round in Ann Arbor also carries it.  I'll post a picture as soon as it's complete, which I'm hoping will be in the next three days.  

As I knit for friends, family, and the church, I can't help but be thankful that God has blessed me with the skill to do this.  I am fortunate to have knitting friends who help me and a husband who supports me.  
Here's wishing you all a very Happy New Year!  

Now, bring on the yarn....  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment